I am really excited to share with you today pictures of my new Japanese Embroidery project, Camellias, a phase VII piece from the Japanese Embroidery Center. To risk sounding sentimental, Camellias was my first aspirational Japanese Embroidery piece.
Put in other words, when I saw this piece on the JEC website in high school, I decided that I wanted to study Japanese Embroidery. For this reason, it means a lot to me that I finally got to this place in my study of Japanese Embroidery, and along the way I've picked up a few other aspirational pieces :)
Without further ado, here are the pictures of my Camellias!
Design: Japanese Embroidery Center
Instructor: Deborah Bowers
Stitcher: Yours Truly
Camellia #1. I was quite happy with the final coloring of this Camellia.
Camellia #1 Detail.
Camellia #3. A white camellia with persimmon red streaks.
Although the flowers are the focal point of the piece, I found that the most challenging part of this piece is the fifteen or so leaves in flat silk foundation. It required a deep concentration to lay down the flat silk in an orderly manner and then holding down the flat silk with an even short stitch holding (to avoid fraying and stabilize the flat silk when stitched in long stitches). Really not the sort of thing that you can do while playing something in the background (at least for me).
Camellia #3 Detail.
White Camellia in half bloom shaded with gold metallic thread towards the heart.
Another notable part of the piece is the negative space at times required on the flower petals. I think it was easier to stitch out a camellia fully than to decide which negative space to leave out, for example, on this half open white camellia towards the heart of the flower.
As framed in my apartment: